- And--a connector used in searching a database which
indicates that for two statements/rules/criteria only records matching both should be selected
- Arrange--see Sort
- Ascending-- to arrange alphabetically--A to Z
(WORDS/TEXT) or to arrange numerically--Smallest to Largest (NUMBERS)
- Connectors--Words like OR and AND used in searching
databases which indicate whether records must satisfy one rule (OR) or
if both rules must be satisfied (AND).
- Data--a general term for pieces of information that
a computer processes
- Database--a collection of data organized for search and
retrieval. (Ex: telephone book, recipe fle, file cabinet,
dictionary, SIMS, CD-ROM encyclopedia, on-line databases)
- Descending-- to arrange alphabetically--Z to A
(WORDS/TEXT) or to arrange numerically--Largest to Smallest (NUMBERS
- Editing--to make any change to the information in a
- Enter/Entering--To type an item of information into
a field in a database.
- Entry--each piece of information entered for each
field or record
- Field--a category of information for which data is
given in each individual record
- File--the entire database is also known as a
database file or a collection of related records in a database
- Find--see Search
- Match--see Search
- Operators (words or symbols)--such as less than (<), greater
than ( >), or equal to( =)
- Or--a connector used in searching a database which
indicates that for two statements/rules/criteria records matching either one
or both should be selected.
- Record--all of the information listed for one
particular item (person, place or thing) in the database file.
(Records are made up of fields.)
- Report-a display (on the screen or printed on paper) of
or parts of records that satisfy a particular search or sort.
- Search--a process used to locate all records that
satisfy a statement,
rule, or criterion. A compound search has 2 or more statements, rules or
criteria with a connector. This process is also called find, match,
query in some database software.
- Sort (Arrange)--an operation to rearrange the records
in a database file in a specified alphabetical or numerical order. Records
can be sorted in ascending or descending order. (Ex.
of keywords that indicate a need to sort: highest, lowest, largest, smallest,
most, least, greatest, or fewest)
- Template--a pattern or form that is used repeatedly
for each record in a database file (When creating a database, the template
is the blank form that comes up each time you add a new record to the